Saturday, October 11, 2008

Christmas in September

In mid September I was wondering through our local pet shop looking for things for my freshwater aquarium. I turned the corner and saw it! I salt water tank with SEAHORSES! I love seahorses! I am an avid scuba diver and during each dive I take time out to search for seahorses. I have been able to see a few. I have an amazing story about how I found my first seahorse. That is another whole blog. Anyway, I spoke to the shop owner for about 45 minutes about the tank and seahorses. She assured me that the aquarium industry has taken steps to make salt water tanks very user friendly and that with my experience in freshwater tanks and the chores involved in maintaining them that I could handle the tasks of a salt water tank. The only reason I would have a salt water tank is if I could have seahorses. Gary said he thought it would be fine and it could be my early Christmas present so I bought them and made arrangements to bring them home later that week. There are three seahorses. Two females and one male. This photo is of one of the females. The tank sits in the family room next to the tv. Gary watches tv and I watch the seahorses. We have spent a lot of time in front of the tank watching these remarkable creatures. I found a website on the internet all about them and have spent a few hours scouring for inforamtion. I am so hooked. I don't think I have enjoyed anything as much as these seahorses. I have gotten up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and amazingly find my way to the 'tank' and watch them in the dark. There is a small black light on their tank that gives them a little moonlight effect during the night. Last night they were playing! It was so cool to watch them frolick around each other back and forth in the tank. Swimming back and forth and round and round. After a few minutes of watching them I force myself back to bed. Then when I look at them in the morning they are all asleep during the sun up hours. Between spending time playing with Jack and watching my seahorses I am having a lovely time. I am blessed and know it. These little creatures are just one amazing thing that we have seen while scuba diving. Things on the top side of the ocean are beautiful and amazing and it is a whole new world down under the surface. Things so amazing and unique you have to see it to believe it.

No comments: